Wednesday, October 21, 2015

States of Matter

Today in class we covered the chapter in our book over states of matter. Some important terms we learned were intramolecular and intermolecular. Intramolecular includes ionic, covalent and metallic, where the break changes the identity of the material. On the contrary though, intermolecular associates the neighbors and includes hydrogen bonds, and when broken, the phase changes. We also covered the physical properties and changes, as well as chemical properties and changes. Physical changes can been easily observed without the substance changing into another. The opposite of this would be the chemical side, where the substance changes and results in a completely new substance. So determine which type of reaction it is, it is easiest to analyze if it is the same substance as what you began with. Finally, at the end of class we covered filtration, distillation, and chromatography, which are techniques to separate and identify the different components within the substances. This is the part of the lesson that confused me the most, since I haven't learned it before, but I think with a small amount of research, it should me a concept that I can learn quickly.
I have even found a small video here that explains it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4WlKIAuYg
Here is also a chart we used in class that was very helpful in organization and figuring out problems!
http://wpscms.pearsoncmg.com/wps/media/objects/3661/3749680/Aus_content_01/Fig01-05.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Holly, thanks for sharing the video! Before, I did not understand what chromatography was. I found it very helpful and now understand the concept. Also, thanks for including the chart because I was not able to copy to entire thing in class the other day. Maybe include an example of physical change and chemical change next time that you found difficult to determine. By including examples, other students will be able to understand the concept more, and it may prompt them to look up or ask other questions about physical and chemical changes that they find confusing. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chart was very helpful for me as I wasn't able to copy it down fast enough in class, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chart was very helpful for me as I wasn't able to copy it down fast enough in class, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with both Ian and Lilly. This chart is awesome because not only could I not copy it down in class, I totally forgot there was even a chart to copy down. These images you include are great along with some nice websites that I can use also. All around it was a really helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining the key concepts; the information I learned from the chart and video were very beneficial in putting it all together and fully understanding the things I didn't quite get from the class lectures.

    ReplyDelete